Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association’s Contest Highlights Industry Focus on Workplace Safety
WASHINGTON, D.C. (July 23, 2013) – The asphalt roofing industry is honoring 12 companies for their commitment to safety in the workplace. The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association (ARMA) is proud to announce the winners of the 2012 Accident Prevention Contest. In total, 59 asphalt roofing manufacturing facilities in North America were recognized for their outstanding safety records in the manufacture of asphalt roofing materials.
“We are extremely proud of all this year’s winners,” said Reed Hitchcock, executive vice-president of ARMA. “Safety is a number one concern for all our ARMA members. The work that ARMA’s Health, Safety & Environment Committee puts into this contest every year shows our continued focus on the safety of our members, and how the industry is taking proactive steps to maintain and improve on our collective safety records.”
Winners were announced during the ARMA Board of Directors Meeting in May, and cover the period between January 1st and December 31st. The annual contest, which first began in 1983, is open to all regular members of ARMA, and can include an entire company, division, plant or mill. In total, 103 asphalt roofing manufacturing facilities entered the safety contest.
The contest’s winners are determined by the “ARMA Index,” which scores facilities based on their safety data for the year. To ensure that all participants competed against plants of comparable size and capacity, entrants were grouped by the following criteria: Group A comprised facilities with over 300,000 labor-hours worked per year; Group B included facilities with 200,000 to 300,000 labor-hours; Group C with 100,000 to 200,000 labor-hours; and Group D with 100,000 or fewer labor-hours worked per year. The facilities were classified based on the previous year’s total labor-hours worked.
Awards were presented in four categories: the President’s Award, the Award of Excellence, the Perfect Employee Safety Certificate and the Certificate of Improvement.
President’s Award: Presented to the plant in each labor-hour group that has had the lowest combined ARMA Index over the last two years.
- Group A – GAF: Michigan City, IN
- Group B – GAF: Baltimore, MD
- Group C – Atlas Roofing Corporation: Hampton, GA
- Group D – CertainTeed Corporation: Wilmington, CA
Award of Excellence: Presented to those plants that have recorded three consecutive years of a “perfect” ARMA Index (i.e., an index of 0.00) and are not President’s Award winners.
- CertainTeed Corporation: Little Rock, AR
- GAF: Walpole, MA
- Henry Company: Bartow, FL; Houston, TX; Huntington Park, CA; Ontario, CA
- Owens Corning: Brookville, IN; Houston, TX
- Owens Corning (Asphalt): Atlanta, GA; Jacksonville, FL; Memphis, TN; Minneapolis, MN; Portland, OR; Summit, IL
- Tarco: North Little Rock, AR
Perfect Employee Safety Certificate: Presented to those plants that had a “perfect” ARMA Index for 2012.
- Atlas Roofing Corporation: Franklin, OH
- CertainTeed Corporation: Milan, OH; Oxford, NC; Little Rock, AR; Wilmington, CA
- GAF: Fresno, CA; Walpole, MA; Tampa, FL; Fontana, CA; Chester, SC; Shafter, CA; Stockton, CA
- Henry Company: Indianapolis, IN; Ontario, CA; Bartow, FL; Huntington Park, CA; Kingman, AZ; Houston, TX
- Johns Manville: Macon, GA; South Gate, CA
- Malarkey Roofing Products: Oklahoma City, OK
- Owens Corning: Jacksonville, FL; Houston, TX; Kearny, NJ; Savannah, GA; Brookville, IN
- Owens Corning (Asphalt): Kearny, NJ, Jacksonville, FL; Irving, TX; Houston, TX; Denver, CO; Atlanta, GA; Medina, OH; Memphis, TN; Minneapolis, MN; Oklahoma City, OK; Portland, OR; Summit, IL
- TAMKO Building Products: Columbus, KS
- Tarco: North Little Rock, AR
Certificate of Improvement: Presented to those plants who demonstrate an improvement in their ARMA Index of at least 25% over their previous year’s performance.
- Atlas Roofing Corporation: Ardmore, OK; Franklin, OH; Daingerfield, TX
- Building Products of Canada: Joliette, Quebec, Canada; Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; LaSalle, Quebec, Canada
- CertainTeed Corporation: Oxford, NC; Milan, OH; Norwood, MA
- GAF: Tuscaloosa, AL; Myerstown, PA; Tampa, FL; Stockton, CA; Chester, SC; Fontana, CA
- Henry Company: Indianapolis, IN
- IKO Production, Inc.: Wilmington, DE
- Johns Manville: South Gate, CA
- Owens Corning: Denver, CO; Minneapolis, MN; Summit, IL; Memphis, TN; Kearny, NJ
- Owens Corning (Asphalt): Oklahoma City, OK; Medina, OH; Kearny, NJ; Denver, CO; Houston, TX
- Polyglass USA, Inc.: Hazleton, PA; Winter Haven, FL
- TAMKO Building Products: Joplin, MO ; Columbus, KS
For each of the awards, participants must file quarterly reports, which measure key components of a comprehensive plant safety program including lost or restricted time after an injury, OSHA reportable incidents, and the labor hours worked at the location.
For more information about the safety contest including the award’s criteria, visit the ARMA website, www.asphaltroofing.org.
The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association (ARMA) is the North American trade association representing the manufacturers and suppliers of bituminous-based residential and commercial fiberglass roofing products, roll roofing, built-up (BUR) roofing systems and modified bitumen roofing systems. For more information, please visit www.asphaltroofing.org.