Why is the color of a roof so important?
Asphalt roofing systems provide homeowners with years of beautiful, affordable and reliable protection. Choosing the right roof color is critical because it is a decision that most homeowners will only make once, and one that will have a lasting impact on the value of a home.
So how do manufacturers create different color blends for asphalt shingles? The secret lies in the Science of Color.
How are asphalt shingle colors created?
Asphalt roofing manufacturers use consultants who are experts on current design trends to help formulate color blends. Unlike other roofing materials, asphalt shingles are composed of multi-colored granules which create a wide palate of choices, including different colors, styles and designs. The granules are produced from durable igneous rock which has been coated with a clay silicate mixture for color. Before application, they are coated with a highly-durable ceramic and surface treated for improved long term adhesion.
Finished granules on asphalt shingles create a unique, visual appeal to coordinate with virtually any home design. Along with color options, granules also provide shingles with:
- UV protection
Are there any trends in asphalt roofing color?
Consumers have literally hundreds of different color combinations to choose from. Asphalt shingle roofing can be used to match a wide variety of exterior styles and neighborhood looks. Some design trends include:
- Deep, strong colors are being used on home exteriors. When the body color of the house is strong, a neutral roof color will allow the body color to showcase a home.
- Architects and designers are increasingly making use of dark body colors. Instead of a beige color, consider darker roof colors that harmonize with deep blues, greens and browns for a quiet drama that adds stability.
- Roof colors should be simple and neutral when two or more body colors are combined, with varied trim colors.
Remember, combining trendy colors with conventional choices on a home’s exterior ensures that the design will have balance and remain appealing for the life of the roof.
What is the best way to choose a color?
Choose an asphalt shingle which provides a color and design that matches a home’s neighborhood. Take the time to do research and find the shingle color that works best.
Homeowners have a variety of resources to assist them:
- Request to see multiple shingle color options from a roofing contractor;
- Consult with a roofing manufacturer to review different sample boards;
- Utilize online design tools to visualize how an asphalt roof would look once installed.
To learn more about the color process for asphalt shingles watch this ARMA video and read this ARMA article. For more information on asphalt roofing visit ARMA’s website at www.asphaltroofing.org.